Kansas State University seeks an innovative and dynamic leader for the position of Associate Director for Extension. The Associate Director for Extension reports to the Dean of the College of Agriculture who is Director of K-State Research and Extension. The Associate Director is primarily responsible for administration of Cooperative Extension programs in Kansas.
|Information about the Department:
The Kansas Cooperative Extension Service and the Kansas Agricultural Experiment Station operate collaboratively as K-State Research and Extension. Research and Extension provides integrated research and extension education focused on solving grand challenges regarding water, health, global food systems, vitalizing our communities, and developing tomorrow's leaders. Research and Extension depends on strong partnerships with local extension boards, volunteers, academic institutions, agencies and organizations to prioritize and deliver on its mission. Kansas Cooperative Extension is headquartered on the K-State campus in Manhattan and is invested with faculty and staff in four colleges (Agriculture, Arts and Sciences, Engineering, and Human Ecology), on the Manhattan and Olathe campuses, throughout the state at five research-extension centers, and in every county.
The mission of Kansas State University is to foster excellent teaching, research and service that develop a highly skilled and educated citizenry necessary to advancing the well-being of Kansas, the nation and the international community. Kansas State University's goal is to be a top 50 Public Research University by 2025. A component of this goal is to be a national leader and model for a re-invented and transformed public research, land-grant University integrating research, education, outreach, and engagement. Cooperative Extension is integral to achieving the overall mission statement of Kansas State University as the land-grant university in Kansas.
|Diversity and Inclusion:
||Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university established the Office of Diversity, led by the associate vice provost for diversity and a dedicated staff. Additionally, each college has a designated Diversity Point Person to provide insight and guidance.
Kansas State University received the prestigious Higher Education Excellence in Diversity, or HEED, award from Insight Into Diversity magazine for the past three years. Multicultural students account for 15 percent of our student population, a university record and continuing trend.
- The Associate Director leads and administers statewide programs, personnel, and budget for the Cooperative Extension Service component of K-State Research and Extension. The Associate Director will:
- Provide visionary leadership for the Cooperative Extension Service as part of Kansas State University's land-grant mission
- Collaborate with the Associate Director of the Agricultural Experiment Station/Associate Dean of Research and Graduate Programs and the Associate Deans for Academic Programs and International Programs on the Dean's/Director's leadership team
- Work in a multi-disciplinary capacity with K-State administrators, faculty, and staff in the four colleges with extension investment, and with national, state and local leaders on the sciences within agriculture, food, communities, families and youth to secure adequate resources to fulfill the mission
- Advocate the value and impact of Extension to leaders of industry, private organizations, government agencies, federal, state and local governments, and within Kansas State University
- Establish and lead a culture of diversity and inclusion within the faculty, staff, volunteers and people served through the educational programs
- Lead recruitment, retention, professional development, and mentoring of faculty and staff and the promotion of the scholarship of extension/engagement
- Secure private donations and increase extramural funding for Extension programs
- Participate as an active member of the National Extension Directors and Administrators (NEDA) and the North Central Cooperative Extension Administrators (NCCEA)
- An earned doctorate or equivalent in a field relevant to the position and a record of accomplishments sufficient for appointment as a tenured faculty member in a participating academic department
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead and manage a large and complex organization with strong vision and strategy for the future
- Proven ability to manage budgets and personnel
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Demonstrated ability to communicate organizational mission, vision, and impact to a variety of audiences
- Administrative experience as a Department Head/Chair, Assistant Dean/Director, Associate Dean/Director, Director, or Dean is highly desired
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively within a highly effective team
- Professional experience within the Cooperative Extension Service, including experience measuring and assessing the impact and effectiveness of Extension/outreach programs
- Demonstrated understanding of, experience in, and commitment to all aspects of the land-grant mission
||Please upload a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, statement of extension philosophy, and the names, mailing addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses of five professional references.
The review of applications will begin on May 1, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment.
General Inquiries can be directed to Dr. Don Boggs - email@example.com
|Salary Range/Pay Rate:
Commensurate with experience and qualifications. Kansas State University has an attractive benefit package that includes a retirement plan, group medical, dental, and life insurance plans, worker's compensation insurance, vacation leave, sick leave, and other benefits.
|Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law
|Background Screening Statement:
||In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University may procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.