Cook Senior (JP's Sports Grill)
Department: 3670009200 Department of Housing & Dining
Job no: 501481
Work type: Staff Full Time (USS)
Categories: Dining/Hospitality, Customer Service
|General Description of Position:
||Participates in food production for JP’s Sports Grill a retail restaurant serving the on-campus and Manhattan community. Under the direction of the Executive Chef, prepares food and coordinates food production using made-to-order cooking methods suitable for a restaurant environment. Makes production assignments and provides on the job instruction for part-time staff. Regular work hours are 9:00 am – 6:00 pm and will include frequent week-end shifts and occasional holiday shifts. Hours may vary depending upon operational needs. Days off will include Monday with a second rotating day.
|Information about the Department:
Housing and Dining Services is a self-operated auxiliary department with four functional areas: administrative services, facilities management, dining services/retail operations, and student living (apartments and residence halls).
More than 6,000 students call the K-State campus home. Why? This "home away from home" meets more than the basic needs of students living with us — we provide affordable, safe and engaging accommodations for our residents, while finding unique ways to support them in their academic pursuits. We've worked hard to create an environment that fosters diversity, leadership, academic success and personal growth.
Housing and Dining Services offers:
- Three dining centers, ten residence halls, a female leadership/scholarship house, an honors house and a large apartment community that provide many opportunities to meet new friends and be part of a dynamic and supportive community
- An award-winning dining program that offers several meal plans and menu options
- Many retail establishments, including convenience stores, a restaurant, a bakery and a coffee shop
- Fun activities and leadership programs that help students get involved and stay connected
- A student success center where students can get free tutoring, computer/printer access and more
|Diversity and Inclusion:
||Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks candidates whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's commitment to the Principles of Community which can be found at https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html
- Prepares and serves high quality food using made-to-order cooking methods appropriate for a restaurant environment. Provides culinary food preparation and production support for restaurant catering orders. Makes production assignments for hourly student employees. Follows menus and uses standardized recipes to produce foods products.
- Coordinates food production and service and meets all timelines. Checks and reports the availability of food supplies, reports yield discrepancies, monitors food quantities, and keeps food products available for customer service to avoid customer delays or excessive leftovers
- Tastes and evaluates products.
- Provides on the job instruction to hourly student employees. Monitors compliance to quality standards.
- Performs cleaning and maintenance activities to assure all equipment and cleaning standards are met. Operates equipment, handles food and supplies, and maintains work areas in a safe and sanitary manner. Practices good personal hygiene by following dress code requirements and washing hands frequently.
- Oversees the work of and train hourly student staff to follow established food production procedures, safe equipment use, sanitary food handling techniques, correct lifting methods, safe sanitizer and chemical use, utilize efficient work habits and follow appropriate apparel and attendance compliance.
- Adjusts kitchen staff schedules and makes work assignments when Executive Chef is not on premise.
- Attends scheduled job training sessions; participates in regularly scheduled meetings, and prepares daily production sheets.
- Follows HACCP procedures and food safety practices for keeping food products safe.
- Develops and maintains good working relationships with students, customers and management staff.
- Assists in maintaining controls for effective use of labor, materials, food production and suggests operational changes which indicated for more effective use of resources.
|Required Minimum Qualifications:
||One year of experience in commercial/institutional cooking. Education may be substituted for experience as determined relevant by the agency.
- 1-3 years cooking experience in a restaurant setting
- High school graduation/GED
- ServSafe Certification
- Considerable knowledge of “from scratch” batch food preparation, equipment, health sanitation, and safety procedures
- Ability to develop and maintain congenial work relationships with other staff and customers
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions
- Ability to learn to perform basic math computations; to accurately weigh and measure ingredients
- Ability to present prepared food attractively
|Screening of Applications Begins:
||Screening begins immediately and will continue until position is filled.
|Salary Range / Pay Rate:
||$11.00 per hour
|Equal Employment Opportunity:
||Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
|Background Screening Statement:
||In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University may procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend