Department: 3670020150 Journalism & Mass Communicaton
Job no: 501565
Work type: Academic / Faculty - 12 month
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Communications/Public Relations/Marketing
|General Description of Position:
||The A. Q. Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communications at Kansas State University seeks an innovative and dynamic leader who values excellence in teaching, research, creative productivity and professional practice. The Director reports to the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.
The successful candidate will have a Ph.D. or equivalent degree and show evidence of administrative leadership and knowledge of media industry trends, including strategic communication and cross-platform journalism. Additionally they will be working collaboratively with faculty, both in the school and across disciplines, and with development staff in acquiring new resources.
|Information about the Department:
||The A. Q. Miller School is fully accredited by the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications. The school offers B.A./B.S. degrees in strategic communications and journalism, as well as a master’s program in mass communications. Faculty have expertise in health and risk communications, rural communication networks, law and social media. The A.Q. Miller School recently adopted a new undergraduate curriculum, with an emphasis in multiplatform applications and cross sequence activity.
|Diversity and Inclusion:
||Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks candidates whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's commitment to the Principles of Community.
||The Director oversees the educational and extracurricular activities of the School. These include student media, the advertising club and the student chapter of PRSSA, the Huck Boyd Center for Community Media, National Headquarters for the Journalism Education Association, and the Great Plains Radio History Symposium. The Director coordinates relationships with KSDB-FM, The Royal Purple yearbook and the Collegian daily newspaper.
The Director also coordinates with other departments and colleges on campus, works with the JMC National Advisory Council, professionals and friends of the School, and engages in fundraising efforts for new initiatives, and to increase the School’s endowment. The Director should maintain an active research agenda.
For more information on the School, please go to our website located at: http://jmc.k-state.edu/
|Required Minimum Qualifications:
- An earned doctorate or equivalent degree in communications or a field relevant to the position and a record of accomplishments sufficient for appointment as a tenured faculty member in the A.Q. Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communications.
- Attained rank of Associate Professor or Full Professor,
- Demonstrated ability to publish in peer-reviewed publications.
- Demonstrated strong record of teaching and professional service.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead and manage a large and complex organization with strong vision and strategy for the future.
- Knowledge of ACEJMC accreditation standards.
- Proven ability to manage budgets and personnel.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate organizational mission, vision, and impact to a variety of audiences.
- Administrative experience as a Department Head/Chair, Assistant Dean/Director, Associate Dean/Director, Director, or Dean is highly desired.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively within a highly effective team
- Demonstrated understanding of, experience in, and commitment to all aspects of the land-grant mission.
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
||Submit application, letter of interest, curriculum vita, KSU application and evidence of scholarly activities. Applicants will need to upload a cover letter addressing qualifications and skills related to the position, a resume or curriculum vita listing education and employment history and five professional references including name, address, phone number (cell number if appropriate) and email address.
|Screening of Applications Begins:
|| October 10, 2017
|Salary Range / Pay Rate:
|Equal Employment Opportunity:
||Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
|Background Screening Statement:
||In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University may procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend