|General Description of Position:
||The Veterinary Health Center (VHC) with the College of Veterinary Medicine (CVM) is seeking applicants for two Pharmacy Technicians. These positions are responsible for providing assistance with daily operation of the KSU-VHC Dispensary. A primary mission of the VHC is to provide medical services for teaching, research, and clients within the surrounding area. The Dispensary is critical to providing medications to support this mission. One of these positions will be for the day shift and the other for the night shift.
|Diversity and Inclusion:
||Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks candidates whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's commitment to the Principles of Community.
- Assist with accurate dispensing of all pharmaceuticals, including chemotherapeutic agents, used within the KSU VHC and/or dispensed for outpatients, which includes sterile and non-sterile compounding. Utilize the pharmacy modules in the computerized VHC management program (Vetstar) and the Cubex computerized medication distribution system in a way that causes accurate and precise filling of medication orders. Initiate sales forms so accurate charges may be assessed at the discharge desk. Work is periodically reviewed by supervisor for results achieved and by the Kansas State Board of Pharmacy, the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA), the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the Kansas Board of Veterinary Examiners, and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for regulatory compliance.
- Assist pharmacist with VHC inventory management and control using the Cubex medication distribution system including preparation of patient medications, unit dose repackaging, refilling stock, removing outdated items, taking inventory, monitoring charges, and reporting. Instruct faculty, staff, and students on the use of Cubex computerized medication distribution system and VetStar pharmacy and inventory modules. Work is periodically reviewed by supervisor for results achieved and by the Kansas State Board of Pharmacy, the DEA, the FDA, the Kansas Board of Veterinary Examiners, and the EPA for regulatory compliance.
- Assist pharmacist with VHC inventory management and control by receiving and stocking freight and conducting monthly outdates/cleaning. Records are to be monitored so that outdated items are removed from inventory and returned to vendors for credit and/or replacement. Work is periodically reviewed by supervisor for results achieved.
- Maintain computer records on an approximate $425,000.00 value of pharmaceutical and supply inventory so that information is accurate and current. Records will include inventory of incoming shipments, storage location, pricing, vendor updates, state contract information and sales information. Work is periodically reviewed by supervisor for results achieved.
- Assist the pharmacist with maintenance of controlled substance logs, as required by the DEA. Logs are to be monitored daily, and physical inventories taken as required by DEA regulations. Work is periodically reviewed by supervisor for results achieved and by the DEA for regulatory compliance.
- Procuring, assembling, distributing and entering charges for drugs, supplies and services from the dispensary for teaching and research departments, Junior Surgery Lab, the shelter medicine service, etc. Work is periodically reviewed by supervisor for accuracy.
- Overseeing compounding functions of the VHC Dispensary (monitoring, cleaning, training, etc.) and meeting USP standards in this area.
- Other duties as assigned. This includes being prepared to supervise and manage the dispensary when the Pharmacist is not available. It is expected that the employee will become familiar with VetStar, the computerized VHC management system, as it applies to services provided by the Dispensary and be willing and able to train other employees on its use. The employee is expected to utilize knowledge of university procedures, communication, and organizational skills and background of pharmacy procedures to assist the KSU-VHC to function smoothly, efficiently, and responsibly. The employee is also expected to be able to communicate established protocols to faculty, staff, clients, referring veterinarians, and the public. Work is periodically reviewed by supervisor for results achieved.
|Required Minimum Qualifications:
||Requires a high school diploma and pharmacy technician certification (CPhT).
This position frequently involves light work, including walking and standing while retrieving and dispensing pharmaceuticals and sedentary work while performing data entry. Occasional periods of medium work are required while assisting with freight deliveries, stocking from large packing boxes of pharmaceuticals/supplies and/or formulating and dispensing large containers of fluids. Walking, sitting, standing, climbing, lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, and fingering are necessary to perform various tasks associated with this work area. Hearing is necessary to send and receive phone orders and sight is necessary to read medical order requests, locate correct pharmaceutical items from inventory, and type accurate dispensing labels. Ambulation without any aids is necessary in order to maintain sterility in sterile compounding areas.
- Prefer a minimum of five years’ experience, including at least one year of supervisory experience. At least one year employment in a human or veterinary pharmacy environment will be considered an asset for this position.
- Ability to be responsible, reliable, and to demonstrate initiative and leadership traits so that ordering and dispensing of pharmaceuticals are accomplished in a professional manner.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment on evaluating situations and making decisions.
- Medical field training is preferred.
- Pharmacy Technician Training Education is preferred.
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
||Please submit an application along with a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references.
|Screening of Applications Begins:
||Screening begins immediately
|Salary Range / Pay Rate:
||$ 12.63 - $ 18.95 per hour
|Equal Employment Opportunity:
||Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
|Background Screening Statement:
||In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.