|General Description of Position:
Provide to provide operation of a wide variety of small, large and medium sized equipment for completion of grounds tasks, to assist in general grounds maintenance, tree maintenance, irrigation install and repair and to provide training in all aspects of equipment operation and grounds maintenance practices to subordinates. Hours are Monday through Friday, 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM.
|Diversity and Inclusion:
||Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks candidates whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's commitment to the Principles of Community.
|The Successful Candidate Will:
- Operate and perform general maintenance on a wide variety of heavy equipment such as: Aerial bucket truck, backhoe, dump truck, street sweeper, tractor, loader, skid loader, trencher, mower, and all other related equipment, at a high skill level.
- Train and assist co-workers in the operation and general maintenance of departmental equipment.
- Observe safety practices and instruct co-workers on safety practices.
- May instruct, lead, or direct various grounds maintenance crews, or serve as a lead person on assigned Landscaping and irrigation projects.
- Perform all kinds of grounds maintenance work, including landscape construction, tree planting, corrective trimming and hazard/safety pruning and removal, seeding, watering, mulching, mowing, fertilizing, edging, trenching, pesticide application, storm cleanup, snow/ice removal.
- Assist with irrigation installation and repair and maintenance.
- Assist mechanic in making repairs to equipment.
|Required Minimum Qualifications:
||Requires six months of relevant experience. Education may be substituted for experience as determined relevant by a hiring manager.
- Knowledge of the general practices applied in the care and safe operation of a wide variety of light to heavy maintenance equipment.
- Knowledge of standard safety practices.
- Ability to operate a wide variety of lighter and some heavy equipment.
- Ability to communicate, verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge of grounds, tree, and shrub care.
- Leadership experience
- Valid driver’s license upon employment and maintain it.
- Completion of the Pesticide Applicator's Certification within the six months probationary period.
- Subject to on-call, standby and inclement weather response.
- Considerable physical exertion is required to transport equipment associated with the position, often involving times weighing up to 75 pounds.
- Responsible to know, understand, and follow safety guidelines in accordance with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration regulations, to include K-State and Facilities policies and procedures.
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment.
|Screening of Applications Begins:
||Screening begins immediately and continues until position is filled.
|Salary Range/ Pay Rate:
||$11.48-$17.22 per hour
||This position is benefits eligible: health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, tuition assistance program, paid time off – vacation, sick and holidays. To learn more visit: http://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/
|Equal Employment Opportunity:
||Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
|Background Screening Statement:
||In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University may procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.