|General Description of Position:
The Retail Bakery Manager provides direction and leadership for Housing and Dining Services retail baking operations. The full-time, benefits eligible position offers the opportunity to develop recipes, train staff, solve problems, demonstrate creativity, manage baking activities, and to provide quality products for the Housing and Dining Services retail operations.
In addition to early work hours, the position offers medical benefits, generous paid leave, retirement plan, and tuition assistance. These benefits and others are outlined on our Benefits website.
|Information About the Department:
Housing and Dining Services is a large, self-operated auxiliary department serving more than 6,000 students that call the K-State campus home. This "home away from home" meets more than the basic needs of students living with us — we provide affordable, safe and engaging accommodations for our residents, while finding unique ways to support them in their academic pursuits.
Our “home away from home” environment includes a wide variety of high quality from scratch prepared food served in our on-campus dining centers and retail venues.
|Diversity and Inclusion:
||Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks candidates whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's commitment to the Principles of Community.
|The Successful Candidate Will:
- Plans retail bakery item menus and production schedules. Develops bakery recipes and products for retail operations and forecasts usage to meet customer needs. Prepares baked products from scratch using multi-step, complex standardized recipes to produce high quality, attractive bakery items for retail venues. Trains part-time bakers to prepare quality products. Attractively displays food for sales cases.
- Manages prepared food and supply inventories for JP’s Bakery and retail venues and prepares food and supply requisitions as necessary. Plans food production, directs, supervises, trains, and instructs student staff in the preparation and service of quality food. In coordination with professional management staff, hires, schedules, trains, and evaluates student bakers. Uses Computrition® menu management system, forecasts production, maintains production records, and prepares reports to accurately track financial information.
- Works closely with Associate Director of Retail Operations to facilitate production of grab-and-go food product line for retail sales.
- Operates equipment safely and maintains work areas in a safe and sanitary manner. Trains others in the proper use and care of equipment, safety and sanitation procedures. Implements HACCP, Food Safety, and safety and sanitation systems in the production or service areas.
- Evaluates the effective use of labor and materials resources and systematizes operational changes as needed for better use of resources. Coordinates pastry selections and any in-house prepared items sold in retail venues. In conjunction with other management staff, evaluates product mix and variety and makes production decisions.
- Performs all assigned duties in a manner that promotes a harmonious work environment that espouses civility and the University Principles of Community. Develops and maintains good working relationships with others. Assists and supports the educational program for Hospitality Management and Food, Nutrition, Dietetics and Health students in Human Ecology.
|Required Minimum Qualifications:
||Requires two years of relevant experience with one year of experience at the supervisory level.
- High school graduation/GED
- 2-3 years of baking experience in a retail venue
- 1 year of retail experience in a coffee shop or retail bakery venue
- 2 years supervisory experience that includes training and directing work of others
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions and to interact effectively with others
- Ability to provide direction and leadership
- Ability to creatively and attractively display food
- Ability to accurately weigh and measure ingredients, to use and care for equipment and to handle food safely while preparing high quality products
- Must be able to work variable work hours, primarily early morning, that support the requirements of this position.
- This position is considered essential during a Declaration of Inclement Weather on the Manhattan campus.
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment.
|Screening of Applications Begins:
||Screening begins immediately and continues until filled.
|Salary Range/ Pay Rate:
$14.21 - $21.31 per hour
An additional $.40 per hour shift differential may be paid for early and/or late scheduled shifts.
Please note: the minimum pay rate for this position is $14.21 per hour. Actual pay rate will be determined based on the candidate’s qualifications, internal equity and departmental funding. Salary offers are typically made between the minimum and midpoint of the salary range. The range indicated includes both the typical hiring range and potential future progression
|Equal Employment Opportunity:
||Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
|Background Screening Statement:
||In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University may procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.