Veterinary Nursing Supervisor (Veterinary Health Center)
Department: 3670080070 Veterinary Health Center
Job no: 503254
Work type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Veterinary Medicine, Medical
|About this Role:
||The Veterinary Health Center is seeking applicants for a Veterinary Nursing Supervisor. This position will organize, manage and direct Large Animal Surgery Nursing/Technical Services and the Central Preparation service area.
|We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
||Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks candidates whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's commitment to the Principles of Community.
||Manage Central Preparation
- Recruit, hire, manage and evaluate staff for Central Preparation in all duties.
- Set standards for proper sterilization and preparation of surgical supplies and equipment within industry and IAHCSMM standards
- Manage training, and supervise all Central Preparation employees (staff and students) to ensure all sterilization and responsibilities and procedures are properly executed.
- Manage training, and supervise all Central Preparation employees (staff and students) to ensure Operating Room assistance and circulation responsibilities and procedures are properly executed.
- Manage, receive, prepare and distribute medical and surgical supply inventory for the VHC
- Ensure CP equipment (ultrasonic cleaners, sterilizers, aeration chamber, heat sealer, clothes washers and dryers) are maintained and functioning to manufacturer recommendations.
- Ensure surgical equipment and medical devices are maintained and functioning to manufacturer’s recommendations
- Rotate through Small Animal surgery services providing nursing/technical and support services
Provide Nursing/Technical and support services for the Large Animal Surgery service
- Assist surgeons as needed.
- Circulate in the operating room/areas for surgery procedures
- Maintain nursing/technical and support areas to include: Nurses Station, Recovery Areas, Induction/Prep Areas, and Operating Rooms/Areas
- Supervise and manage LA Surgery support personnel
Self-Help Laboratory Management
- Oversee the maintenance of the Self-Help Laboratory used by veterinary students and clinicians for clinical patients, keeping it in compliance with OSHA, EPA, Kansas Department of Health and Environment, and Kansas State University Public Safety guidelines and requirements. Ensure lab is clean, supplied, and functional at all times.
|Required Minimum Qualifications:
||Requires graduation from a two-year college program in veterinary or animal technology accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) and five years of relevant experience.
- Minimum of one year lead worker experience in sterile processing.
- Hospital experience in autoclave operation, biomedical equipment operation and maintenance, supply and distribution or similar responsibilities.
- Supervisory experience.
- Ability to read supply requisition forms, maintain accurate records and a daily running inventory of materials stocked, dispensed and requested.
- Ability to interpret quality control monitors (i.e. autoclave tape color changes, internal pack sensitivity discs, etc.) which relate to degree of sterilization gained during processing of surgical instrument and supply packs.
- Knowledge of basic computer operations, to include familiarity with concepts of a database management program capable of maintaining a daily running inventory of materials stocked, dispensed and requested. Initiative to diagnose and troubleshoot equipment difficulties (i.e. automatically check equipment performance and cleanliness each time it is presented).
- Ability to maintain and use ordinary veterinary medical hospital equipment.
- Be physically able to handle, restrain and provide medical services to domestic animals.
- A working knowledge of operating room sterile technique procedures is preferred.
- A knowledge of standard emergency veterinary medical procedures is preferred.
- Ability to perform word processing and data entry procedures on a personal computer.
- Be willing to master new techniques.
- Six months experience sterile processing management.
- CRCST certification
- Experience with small animal surgery circulating
- Proficiency with Vet Star or Vet View Hospital Management Systems.
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
||Please submit an application along with a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references.
|Screening of Applications Begins:
||Screening begins immediately
|Salary Range / Pay Rate:
||$ 36,674 - $ 56,845 annual salary
|Equal Employment Opportunity:
||Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
|Background Screening Statement:
||In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Central Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend