Veterinary Technician (Small Animal Intensive Care Unit)
Department: 3670080070 Veterinary Health Center
Job no: 503568
Work type: Staff Full Time (USS)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Veterinary Medicine, Medical
|About this Role:
||This position plans, organizes, directs, and controls technical work in the Small Animal Intensive Care Unit of the KSU-VHC during an established shift. Employee maintains equipment and supply status in the SA-ICU area and is responsible for assisting clinicians and senior veterinary students as they provide critical care to client cases in this work area. Responsible for cleanliness of the work area and assures primary care of critical patients and that supply are not outdated. Monitors medical records and ICU orders of patients for completeness, accuracy, and financial accountability. This position is also responsible for coordination of animal treatments; instruct, train and supervise students and employees in approved treatment technique. This position is considered Essential in a Declaration of Inclement Weather.
|We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
||Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks candidates whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's commitment to the Principles of Community.
|Duties / Responsibilities:
- Provide technical support for the Small Animal Intensive Care Unit (SA-ICU) patients within the KSU-VHC. Orient students in ICU with regards to specific treatments for patients in ICU, equipment and pharmaceuticals, and general nursing care. Supervise and assist students in attending to treatments and procedures on hospitalized animals and emergency cases. Participate in other teaching and demonstrations as directed by lCU supervisor or other clinical faculty. This activity will be reviewed daily by faculty presenting patients to the SA-ICU, weekly by supervisor, and as required by the Hospital Administrator, for results achieved.
- Provide primary nursing care and perform treatments for patients in ICU as directed by the clinicians verbal and written orders for the case. Assist clinicians in treating and performing diagnostic procedures on the patients in ICU and emergency areas. This activity will be reviewed daily by clinicians with patients in SA-ICU, weekly by supervisor, and as required by the Hospital Administrator, for results achieved.
- Be familiar with emergency equipment, supplies, and pharmaceuticals and their location within the KSU- VHC. Responsible for stocking of pharmaceuticals and supplies in SA-ICU and on associated crash carts. Routinely check for, and replace, outdated pharmaceuticals. Assure that needed items are available at all times. Service, clean, and maintain monitoring equipment and other intensive care support equipment. Responsible for thorough, general cleaning of the SA-ICU area on a daily basis. Performance will be reviewed by the supervisor and the Hospital Administrator for results achieved.
- Monitor medical records and SA-ICU orders of ICU patients for completeness, accuracy, and financial accountability. Become proficient with the hospital information system so that medical and financial information may be easily entered into terminals in Small Animal ICU areas by clinicians, you, or veterinary students assigned to the SA-ICU. Performance will be reviewed by the supervisor and Hospital Administrator for results achieved.
- Perform other duties in the KSU-VHC as requested by the Anesthesiology/ICU staff, supervisor, Hospital Director by following procedures and protocol developed for the KSU- VHC. Performance will be reviewed by the supervisor and Hospital Administrator for results achieved.
|Required Minimum Qualifications:
||Completion of a two year college program in veterinary or animal technology accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Ability to work with and provide preventative maintenance for ordinary veterinary medical hospital equipment
- Ability to handle, restrain, and provide medical treatments to domestic animals
- Ability to perform technical tasks associated with emergency medical care and to instruct students to perform technical procedures with limited direct supervision
- Be willing to master new techniques
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Submit Application, letter of interest, resume, contact information for three professional references and official transcripts, and official transcripts
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment.
|Screening of Applications Begins:
||Screening of applications begins immediately
|Salary Range / Pay Rate:
||$ 11.48 - $ 17.22 per hour
|Equal Employment Opportunity:
||Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
|Background Screening Statement:
||In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend