|About this Role:
||This position is to manage a very busy, successful research team whose main goal is to develop rationally designed vaccines and diagnostics against high-consequence foreign animal, emerging and zoonotic disease threats such as Rift Valley fever virus, African swine fever virus, and highly pathogenic avian influenza virus. The position requires the individual to display critical thinking, independent judgement, and the ability to organize information as it relates to ongoing and new molecular, viral research with direct guidance from the Research Science Manager and Primary Investigator. The research is conducted at the BSL-2 and BSL-3 level of containment and utilizes several select target animal models such as pigs, cows, chickens and mice.
|We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
||Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks candidates whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's commitment to the Principles of Community.
|Duties / Responsibilities:
- Coordinates personnel activities within the laboratory and animal rooms to maintain research project timelines and study protocols
- Oversees equipment purchases and maintenance, personnel training to include records updating, maintain supplies within proposed budget and updates inventories of consumables, virus stocks and other laboratory reagents
- Provides safety expertise, training and maintain records of safety training for laboratory personnel; coordinate safety inspections for the BSL2 and BSL3 laboratories by outside inspection agencies
- Maintain the BSL3 select agent database and inventory
- Research, write and review laboratory standard operating procedures for the BSL2 and BSL3 laboratories
- Assist in the writing and maintenance of IACUC/IBC documentation for all studies conducted by the PI/laboratory personnel. Insure that all personnel are up to date on training and records
- Assist in the processing of Import permits, Material Transfer Agreements, and shipping documents for the organization
- Select Agent DOJ clearance is required
- Provide expertise technical support in recombinant DNA technology, molecular biology techniques such as RT-PCR, PCR, recombinant protein development and production, monoclonal antibody generation and characterization
- Generate virus-like particles [VLPs], investigate VLPs for vaccine development using serological techniques, develop diagnostic tests or assays, propagating viral stocks
- Quality control validate recombinant live-vectored/protein/VLP-based prototype vaccines
- Work with animals [cows, sheep, pigs and mice- inoculation/bleeding/isolation of peripheral blood mononuclear cells and serum]
- Provide support to Post-Docs and other personnel in the BSL2 and/or BSL3 laboratories
|Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Masters degree
- 2 years relevant experience
- Masters or PhD in molecular biology, virology, or related field
- >3 yrs. Laboratory management within a virology, molecular or related field
- Animal handling (rodents and/or livestock/wildlife) experience
- Microsoft Office knowledge and skills, cell culture techniques
- Molecular laboratory experience – PCR, RT-PCR, cloning, western blotting, affinity purification of recombinant proteins using eukaryotic/prokaryotic cells or cell-free systems,conducting safety and immunogenicity studies, immunological assays, virological assays, ability to present data to PI and others effectively
- Select Agent and DOJ Clearance are required and hiring dependent upon ability of individual to attain all necessary approvals.
- Experience generating live-vectored subunit vaccines, generation and affinity purification of recombinant proteins using eukaryotic/prokaryotic cells or cell-free systems, cell culture techniques, conducting safety and immunogenicity studies in cattle, sheep, pigs, and/or mice hands-on experience conducting, conducting EliSpot assays in mammals or other immunological assays, flow cytometric techniques, PCR, RT-PCR, reverse genetic systems, plaque assays, hemaggutination assay, monoclonal antibody production in mice
- Manuscript editing, poster presentations and/or presentation at local, university or national meetings, published articles in nationally/globally recognized scientific journals
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
||Please submit an application along with a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references.
|Screening of Applications Begins:
||Screening of applications begins immediately
|Salary Range / Pay Rate:
||$ 44,150 - $ 77,250 annual salary
|Equal Employment Opportunity:
||Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
|Background Screening Statement:
||In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.