||The mission of Kansas State University is to foster excellent teaching, research, and service that develop the highly skilled and educated citizenry necessary to advancing the well-being of Kansas, the nation and the international community.
||Kansas State University educates more than 24,000 of tomorrow's potential leaders, and provides some of the best global food systems and biosecurity research in the world. In fact, the university is progressing toward its goal of becoming a Top 50 public research university by 2025.
The university has nine academic colleges and offers more than 250 majors and options. The Graduate School offers 65 master's degrees, 45 doctoral degrees and 22 graduate certificates in multiple disciplines. The Princeton Review recognizes the university as one of the nation's best colleges, and U.S. News & World Report lists the university among the top 75 public universities in the U.S.
Commonly referred to as K-State, the community is proud of its welcoming environment, and considers all K-Staters family. Our athletic teams, known as the Wildcats, compete in the Big 12 Conference and frequently win titles and championships.
|Diversity and Inclusion:
||Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university established the Office of Diversity, led by the associate vice president for diversity and a dedicated staff. Additionally, each college has a designated Diversity Point Person to provide insight and guidance.
Kansas State University received the prestigious Higher Education Excellence in Diversity, or HEED, award from Insight Into Diversity magazine for the past three years. Multicultural students account for 15 percent of our student population, a university record and continuing trend.
||Kansas State University seeks applications for the position of Head, Department of Animal Sciences and Industry. This is a 12-month position with competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The successful candidate will have credentials for appointment as a tenured, full professor.
||The Department has internationally recognized faculty with diverse backgrounds in programs encompassing teaching, research, extension and service in animal and food sciences. The Department of Animal Sciences and Industry is currently comprised of 56 faculty and 60 professional support staff. Student numbers include 38 Ph.D., 137 M.S., and 1,200 undergraduates in both on-campus and distance education programs. Although based in Manhattan, the department also has faculty in multiple research and extension stations throughout Kansas. The Department manages 6,300 acres of pasture and 280 acres of cropland. In addition, the department has support facilities for beef, dairy, horse, meat goats, poultry, sheep, and swine, along with food and animal products processing. Please visit www.asi.k-state.edu and www.foodsci.k-state.edu for more information.
The Department Head provides leadership and administrative guidance to:
- Foster excellence in research, extension, teaching, and both domestic and international service
- Promote quality instruction in undergraduate and graduate programs
- Actively involve faculty in the decision-making process, using appointed and elected committees as appropriate
- Provide leadership in planning and supervising programs relevant to the department’s mission within the land grant university system
- Manage departmental personnel, budgets and financial matters, and assist in generating extramural support
- Create an environment that fosters diversity, collegiality, teamwork, and ability to work in a multicultural setting
- Evaluate, counsel, and promote professional development of faculty, support staff, and students
- Recruit, hire and retain talented faculty, staff, and students
- Engage and interact with stakeholders and communicate effectively with faculty, staff, students, and university administrators
- Manage departmental personnel, and recruit, hire and retain talented faculty, support staff, and students
- Work collaboratively with the Director of the Food Science Institute to enhance food science programs
- Engage, interact and communicate effectively with faculty, support staff, students, university administrators, and stakeholders
- Represent and promote the department on campus and in industry and scientific communities
- Facilitate development and fundraising for various departmental activities and facilities
- Continue personal professional development
|Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Earned doctorate in Animal Science or related discipline
- Must have credentials for appointment as a tenured, full professor
- Demonstrated effective leadership and communication skills, and the ability to positively represent the department to stakeholder, scientific, and community groups
- Strong commitment to excellence in teaching, research, extension, and both domestic and international service; appreciation of the important role of distance education in meeting the needs of a diverse student population
- Experience with personnel management and budgeting
- Experience in assessing priorities and adapting to the changing environment with creativity and innovation
- Strong commitment to expanding diversity, inclusion, collegiality, teamwork and a multicultural environment in the department and broader university community
- Demonstrated ability developing external resources through grantsmanship, private fund raising and/or partnerships
- Experience in teaching, research, extension and/or international programs in a land grant university
- Exemplary record of professional achievement
Please complete the PageUp application process and upload a letter of interest that addresses your vision, administrative philosophy and qualifications; curriculum vitae; and the names, mailing addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses of five professional references.
The review of applications will begin on February 15, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled.
Must be currently authorized to work in the United States
|Salary Range/Pay Rate:
||Commensurate with experience and qualifications. Kansas State University has an attractive benefit package that includes a retirement plan, group medical, dental, and life insurance plans, worker’s compensation insurance, vacation leave, sick leave, and other benefits.
|Equal Employment Opportunity:
||Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
|Background Screening Statement:
||In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University may procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.