About This Role:
Kansas State University Libraries invite applications and nominations for an energetic, creative, and committed individual to serve in the position of Content Development Librarian with a focus on the physical and electronic materials used in the teaching and research of our sciences, mathematics, engineering, agriculture, and veterinary medicine departments. This position reports to the head of the content development.
Following the May 22, 2018, fire in Hale Library, the university’s 550,000-square-foot main building, the administration, faculty and staff, who had been looking forward to the creation of a first-floor learning commons, will instead reimagine the institution from the ground up. Central to the future of Hale Library will be aligned collections for the needs of our university community.
This is a full-time tenure track academic appointment carrying full faculty status and responsibilities. The candidate must have a commitment to scholarly/creative activities and professional service necessary for pursuing tenure at Kansas State University Libraries. To be successful in this position, the incumbent must demonstrate excellent analytical, interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills to establish and maintain productive working relationships with colleagues in an environment where flexibility and collaboration are essential. The ideal candidate will possess a strong commitment to providing excellent user service and support, and data-informed decisions.
- Work in collaboration with faculty and staff in academic and library department to select content in all formats in the subject areas of sciences, mathematics, engineering, agriculture, and veterinary medicine
- Assess resource functionality and usability for improvement, deselection, and integration with library and university systems
- Monitor approval plans to ensure their effectiveness, including maintenance of profile and subject coverage according to needs adjustment and quality control
- Collect data from diverse resources, analyze, and develop reports of collection value, usage and cost to improve collection development and management
- Develop expertise in the use of standards and automated tools (Alma and vendor content platforms)
- Identify the collection’s strengths and gaps considering overlapping titles, open access usage, and consortial opportunities
- Provide input for overall collections budget and collaborate within and between departments to monitor spending
- Collaborate on the development, review, and update of policies and procedures related to collection activities
- Engage and keep abreast of current content development issues and trends
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the Principles of Community.
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- MLS from an ALA-accredited institution or international equivalent
- Demonstrated interest, aptitude, and knowledge of principles and practices of collection management including familiarity with collection assessment, data analysis, and open access trends
- Knowledge of current issues and trends in collection development at academic and research libraries
- Proficiency with spreadsheet, data analysis and visualization software, and emerging information technologies and applications for collection management
- Ability to manage time and multiple projects in a complex, changing environment with a positive, flexible, creative and innovative attitude
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion in supporting a diverse workforce and serving the needs of a diverse population
- Recent professional experience with science electronic resources and/or substantive course work in a STEM discipline
- At least one year of experience in collection/content development or acquisitions in an academic library
- Experience using an integrated library system, preferably Alma
- Demonstrate general understanding of business terms and license issues for electronic resources
- Experience building vendor relationships and negotiating contracts