The Carl R. Ice College of Engineering at Kansas State University (K-State) invites nominations and applications for the position of Head of the Carl and Melinda Helwig Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering. The college seeks an individual with the experience to provide leadership and administrative oversight for successful instructional; research; diversity, equity, inclusion; and Extension programs in the department. The successful candidate will:
· Lead the department of biological and agricultural engineering (BAE) as it increases the number of incoming and graduating students, develops new knowledge, and disseminates information.
· Provide leadership and administrative actions for the department that advance the knowledge and application of engineering and technology to living systems, agriculture, and the environment.
· Provide daily oversight and management for the BAE department, teaching, research and Extension programs; supervise the BAE office professionals; oversee/administer the departmental budget; facilitate grants, contracts, and other external funding, and developmental support activities; foster a diverse and inclusive environment, and respond to college and university programmatic and informational requests.
· Represent the BAE departmental faculty, students and programs at both College of Engineering and College of Agriculture executive/leadership committees, other college/university functions, and within the engineering and agricultural communities.
· Provide vision and leadership to advance the goals of the land grant mission and BAE departmental strategic priorities.
· Facilitate external funding support and opportunities, including working with alumni; local, state and federal agencies; industry partners; and the Kansas State University Foundation.
· Mentor and develop faculty and staff to grow professionally.
The successful candidate will have a strong record of scholarly and professional accomplishments, a distinguished reputation in the biological and agricultural engineering community, and excellent interpersonal skills. An earned doctorate in biological and agricultural engineering or a closely related field is required.
The department of biological and agricultural engineering at Kansas State University has a rich tradition of teaching and advising excellence, interdisciplinary research, and highly recognized Extension and outreach programs. Established programs of study and research include agricultural machinery systems, precision agriculture, biological materials, and environmental and water resources engineering.
The department head reports to the dean of the College of Engineering with a strong working relationship with the dean and other leaders in the College of Agriculture, and is responsible for the administration of all programs and budgets of the department. Duties include working with faculty, staff, and students to deliver outstanding undergraduate and graduate programs, fostering research efforts of the highest quality, and maintaining productive relationships and development activities with alumni, industry partners, and government agencies.