About This Role:
Kansas State University seeks an experienced and dynamic leader to serve as Director for a new Pre-Professional Advising Center. The Director will lead our team of pre-professional advisors and a recruitment coordinator who are committed to applying recruitment and advising best-practices within a collaborative, diverse, inclusive and supportive environment that prepares students to become competitive professional school applicants.
The Pre-Professional Advising Center offers all prospective students interested in the professions with a clear and coherent point of entry. We provide guidance and programing to encourage students to explore and prepare a competitive application to professional school programs such as law, medicine, pharmacy, physical therapy, physician assistant, dental, occupational therapy, nursing, veterinary medicine, and more.
Guided by an advising as teaching model, Center staff help students in any college or program of study explore and prepare for the professions. The Center embraces Student Success guiding principles of equity and inclusion, holistic support, institutional collaboration, and creative innovation.
The inaugural Director will contribute to K-State’s culture of advising excellence and build a successful pre-professional program. The Director reports to the Vice Provost for Student Success.
Provide vision for and direct oversight of the pre-professional advising center with responsibility for recruiting, planning, policy, and achieving excellent student learning outcomes.
In collaboration with the vice provost for student success, enrollment management, and the academic colleges, design, develop, and implement activities to achieve strategic recruitment goals, advising mission and program objectives set at university and unit levels.
Vision and Program Design
- In collaboration with Enrollment Management, create robust outreach and recruitment plan.
- Develop an intentional curriculum to support exploration and commitment to the professions.
- Explore partnerships with professional schools (e.g., early admission, 3+3 programs).
- Assume management responsibility for advising programs and priorities associated with student success and retention
- Make decisions and oversee quality of service delivery to include accurate and current information about university and professional school programs.
- Use knowledge of student development and student sub-populations in designing a comprehensive pre-professional advising center.
- Manage communication about timelines and deadlines for professional school applications.
- Develop opportunities for clinical experience and undergraduate research opportunities.
- Review data, as available, on professional school admission.
Support Advising Excellence
- Design and deliver advisor training and professional development for Center staff and contribute to the professional development of the K-State Advising Community.
- Use the SSC-Navigate platform for tracking student engagement with the Center and advisor performance.
Policy and Assessment
- Formulate, recommend, and implement policies, procedures, and controls; manage processes to increase student support and advance service levels; responsible for policy implementation, communication and assessing impact. Participate in cross-functional policy development.
- Elevate institution-wide issues, contributing to systemic rather than one-off solutions.
- Collect and analyze data on Pre-Professional Advising activities to assess student learning outcomes and program effectiveness.
- Prepare reports, disseminate/interpret data and other information. Provide advice, deliver presentations, and ensure that advising programs and services comply with university policies and state/federal regulations.
- Responsible for collaborating with administrative and academic units and act as liaison between the student, parent, college, student life and other appropriate partners; communicate and assist students, parents, business partners resolve questions and complex issues; represent the university internally and externally.
- Partner with the Career Center on alumni placement data.
- Build and maintain cross-campus relationships. Convene and engage pre-professional advisory group.
- Provide direct supervision to advisors and coordinator.
- Develop, implement and monitor budget, as authorized; may have authority for revenue and expense planning and approving expenditure; has signature authority as "accountable officer" for programs within area of responsibility; report on budget status to higher level administrator.
- Oversee equity and inclusion efforts for the advising unit.
- Serve on university, college and departmental committees and represent the department at various state and national associations. Serve on Student Success Leadership team.
- Perform related duties based on departmental need.
- Design and implement strategic communications.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.