About This Role:
Kansas State University Division of Information Technology is seeking an Enterprise Business Intelligence Developer to be part of our Data Management and Architecture Teams. This position will provide design, development, documentation, training, and end user support for complex reports, dashboards, and visualizations based on our cloud data architecture. This is an exciting time to be involved from the ground up in our complete restructuring of our cloud first data architecture.
As a member of this Division of Information Technology team, the successful candidate will work to ensure the use of BI tools and applications enhances the data driven decision making capabilities for the campus units. In this highly collaborative environment, this team thrives on providing creative, innovative and timely solutions.
Job Responsibilities include:
- Responsible for designing, developing, testing, implementing and supporting highly complex visualizations/reports/dashboards using business intelligence and analytic platforms.
- Assist in all stages of development based on the software development lifecycle to support the creation, testing, and support for the university cloud-based data warehouse.
- Responsible for gathering, documenting, and interpreting report specifications and requirements.
- Communicate with nontechnical and technical campus users to determine specific business requirements for reports and business intelligence solutions.
- Collaborate with users and technical team members to reduce duplicative data, identify opportunities for process improvements, and recommend system enhancements.
- Enhance business decision-making capability across the University using business intelligence reports and visualizations.
- Consistent ability to analyze issues and determine or recommend appropriate actions for resolution.
- Ensure reports meet business requirements, technical requirements and follow security standards.
- Enhance and maintain existing reports and dashboards.
- Create documentation and provide training as necessary to support BI reporting process.
- Work alongside data architects, project managers, and systems analysts to deliver stable reports while meeting design specifications and timelines.
- Contribute to a highly collaborative environment with business intelligence, functional offices, data architects, application developers, data operations and vendors.
- Meet performance standards in accordance with service level agreements set by the information technology executive leadership team.
- Review usage statistics to identify how users are leveraging the reports.
- Participate in business intelligence projects and operational meetings providing timely status updates as requested.
- Provide backup support and assistance to other team members.
- Meet deadlines and ensure work is complete and accurate.
- Document and communicate changes, issues and investigations.
- Explores new technologies, tools, techniques, works with the team and with leadership to continue to evolve our business intelligence presence.
This position is eligible for remote work.
The candidate selected for this position may work remotely subject to an approved telecommuting agreement, which is reviewed and approved annually. Candidate may, on occasion, be required to report to campus due to operational needs for meetings, training, or other activities. Remote work requires successful candidates to possess their own high-speed internet and phone to perform the work on a university provided computer.
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off – vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the Principles of Community.
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Two or more years developing data visualizations and reports using business intelligence and analytic platforms to include some combination of the following:
- Ability to interpret report requirements.
- Exceptional customer relationship and attention to detail.
- Ability to logically and analytically review data and determine if visualizations align to data sources.
- Excellent logical, analytical and strong problem-solving capacity.
- Able to find root causes of problems and quickly determines efficient solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to include the following:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Can anticipate risks and mitigate in the moment.
- Comfortable under high-stress and exhibits poise and focus.
- Ability to relate to diverse community of students, staff and faculty.
- Ability to read data models and flow diagrams.
- Previous work experience with Power BI or Tableau.
- Previous experience working in cloud-based data structures.
- Previous work experience in a higher education environment.
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.