Teaching Assistant Professor of Classical Studies
Department: 3670020180 Modern Languages
Job no: 516384
Employment type: Academic / Faculty - 9 month
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Worksite: On-site requirement
Categories: Education / Instructional, Arts / Humanities
Pay Grade: 001
About This Role:
The Kansas State University Department of Modern Languages invites applications for a one year full-time Teaching Assistant Professor of Classical Studies (possibility of renewal pending budgets and enrollment). Responsibilities will include serving as interim director of the Classical Studies program; teaching a total of 6 courses over the academic year, including courses in Latin language instruction, Classical literature in translation, and ancient history; supervising a graduate teaching assistant and undergraduate student workers; and contributing to departmental service initiatives. Candidate’s letter should address experience working with diverse student populations.
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off – vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion. The University actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the Principles of Community.
This position is required to be performed on-site. Work is performed on employer premises or designated assignment location.
Visit this link for K-State’s guidance and policies on remote work and flexible work arrangements. Remote work agreements are required for all flexible work arrangements and are subject to review.
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- Ph.D. or ABD in Classical Studies or a related field
- Successful candidate will value multicultural perspectives in teaching and service.
- Ability to teach Latin, literature in translation, and history courses at all levels of our curriculum.
- Ability to work autonomously to direct the Classics program within a department of Modern and Classical languages.
- Ph.D. obtained by August 2024
- Passion for program building and interdisciplinary collaboration
- Experience with or well-developed ideas about pedagogical innovation and diversity in teaching Latin and Classical Studies.
- Ability to deliver a course on topics related to Gender and Sexuality, ancient Race and Ethnic Identities, the History of Science, or the History of Medicine, or to design a course pertaining to the candidate’s specialization.
- Ability to teach all levels of ancient Greek or other ancient or modern languages.
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Statement of teaching philosophy
Screening of Applications Begins:
Immediately. For best consideration, apply by January 16, 2024.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Central Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend