About This Role:
Animal Sciences & Industry is the largest department at Kansas State University with robust extension, research, and teaching focusing on the primary disciplines and species/products in the animal and food sciences. Kansas has a large and vibrant meat industry ranking second in fed cattle marketed and third in total red meat production. Animal slaughtering and meat processing from carcasses has a direct output of $11.2 billion and supports a total of 17,292 jobs in Kansas. To serve this industry, we are seeking applicants for a 12-month, tenure-track faculty position (60% extension, 40% research). The position will be at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor and located in Manhattan, KS. The successful individual is expected to develop an innovative extension and research program addressing issues facing the Kansas and U.S. meat industry in addition to contributing to the core missions of the Department. Support and collaboration with an interdisciplinary team with efforts related to sustainability research and extension programing consistent with team, ASI, COA, and K-State goals is expected. Research efforts will be consistent with the successful individual’s expertise, interests, and needs of the Department.
Position Description and Responsibilities:
The person selected for this position will:
- Develop a well-recognized, dynamic meat science extension and research program
- Establish and maintain a competitive, extramurally funded extension and research program emphasizing fresh meat
- Develop strong relationships with production, processing, foodservice, and marketing segments of the meat/food industries as well as county and district extension faculty.
- Support and collaborate with an interdisciplinary sustainability team focused on research and extension efforts to address aspects of sustainability related to animal and meat production to enhance economic-social-environmental outcomes of the livestock and meat industries.
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to team-oriented research, teaching, and extension programs and the development and success of students
- Collaborate with other faculty and participate in departmental and meat science activities/programs
- Mentor graduate students and serve on graduate advisory committees
- Help foster a spirit of diversity, inclusion and teamwork within a multicultural work environment
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off – vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion. The University actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the Principles of Community.
This position is required to be performed on-site. Work is performed on employer premises or designated assignment location.
Visit this link for K-State’s guidance and policies on remote work and flexible work arrangements. Remote work agreements are required for all flexible work arrangements and are subject to review.
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- Ph.D. or equivalent at the time of hire in Meat Science, Animal Science, Food Science, or closely related field
- Demonstrated potential for excellence in meat science extension programing
- Demonstrated excellence in research
- Interest in and willingness to contribute towards research and extension activities related to the sustainability and longevity of animal agriculture in the U.S.
- Knowledge and experience in meat science, especially in fresh meat
- Willingness and enthusiasm for participation in team-oriented meat science, departmental, and college objectives
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience and knowledge in the meat industry
- Demonstrated ability in obtaining extramural funding
- Prior experience in leading or participating in sustainability research and extension programing
- Experience in leading or participating in meat science extension programing
- Strong academic publication record
- Experience conducting collaborative, interdisciplinary research
- Demonstrated potential to develop educational materials via diverse methods to outreach audiences
- Evidence of being a successful team member and effective leader
- Commitment to the University’s land-grant mission and the K-State Next-Gen Strategic Plan https://www.k-state.edu/strategic-planning/
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team environment and advance the university’s commitment to collegiality, diversity, and inclusivity
- Applicability of scholarly activity towards K-State’s Plan for Economic Prosperity in Kansas https://www.k-state.edu/research/economic-prosperity/Economic-prosperity-plan-web.pdf
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
- A valid driver's license at the time of employment
How to Apply:
Applicants should complete the application and upload the following:
- Cover letter to include an explanation of how your qualifications and professional interests align with the position
- Curriculum vitae
- A one-page statement of research plans and goals
- A one-page statement of extension philosophy and goals
- Copies of unofficial academic transcripts
- Name and contact information for three professional references
For more information contact:
Travis O’Quinn, Search Committee Chair
Department of Animal Sciences & Industry
244 Weber Hall
Screening of Applications Begins:
February 2, 2024
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.