About This Role:
In addition to a generous benefit package (see link below), this position offers the opportunity to apply plumbing skills in a service-oriented department. This position performs a variety of plumbing related tasks; routinely interacts with others, including student residents; and offers a community-oriented work environment.
If you take pride in your work, are conscientious, and have a commitment to quality and customer service, you may be a fit in our HDS family.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Plans renovation projects. Orders materials, schedules work crew for installation of plumbing fixtures for projects by directing and assisting in the removal of all items to be replaced, selecting new items, arranging installation, setting fixtures and fittings, insulation of pipes, other plumbing tasks related to new installation.
- Troubleshoots and repairs leaks, stoppages, inadequate supply or faulty operation of water, steam, gas and air line components related to building mechanical systems and utilities.
- Services, repairs and rebuilds heating/cooling systems, domestic hot water supply systems and circulating pumps. Treats heating and cooling systems by adding chemicals and testing chemical levels.
- Services and repairs steam, condensate and water lines, traps, valves, heat exchanges, controls and related items.
- Replaces and repairs plumbing fixtures, faucets, valves, fittings, bath and shower facilities, water heaters and related equipment.
- Oversees and assists craft assistants in cleaning stoppages in traps, waste, vent and sewer lines.
- Stores, organizes and maintains tools, materials, and equipment. Maintains records of work performed. Performs other duties as assigned to include promoting a harmonious work environment that espouses civility and the University Principles of Community.
- Participates as a productive and engaged team member.
Why Join Us:
Housing and Dining Services is a large, self-operated auxiliary department serving more than 4,000 students that call the K-State campus home. This "home away from home" meets more than the basic needs of students living with us — we provide affordable, safe and engaging accommodations for our residents, while finding unique ways to support them in their academic pursuits.
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, tuition assistance, retirement plans, paid time off – vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the Principles of Community.
The service nature of this position requires work on-site. Work is performed on employer premises or designated assignment location.
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- Requires two years of relevant experience. Education may be substituted for experience as determined relevant by a hiring manager.
- Prefer four years of plumbing experience
- Plumber with Gas License
- High school graduation/GED and completion of coursework in building trades
- Knowledge of tools, equipment and materials used in the trade and their use of application
- Ability to read blueprints and schematics
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment.
- Valid driver’s license upon employment.
- Will be required to become certified in backflow prevention within six months of employment.
- May be subject to occasional calls after hours for emergency repairs.
How to Apply:
Please submit the online application.
Screening of Applications Begins:
Screening begins immediately and continues until position is filled.
Anticipated Hiring Pay Range:
$19.90 - $30.84 per hour
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.