About This Role:
K-State Research and Extension is hiring two positions to support its role in the Heartland Regional Food Business Center (HRFBC). The HRFBC helps farm and food enterprises develop local and regional food businesses and markets with an emphasis on assisting historically underserved audiences. Partner organizations provide assistance from startup through expansion and provides support for supply chain connections. The Food Systems Entrepreneurial Resource Navigators will be responsible for providing technical assistance to small, midsized and diverse farm and food-based businesses (i.e. entrepreneurs selling value-added products, opening a restaurant, renovating a rural grocery store etc.) across Kansas and support programming to fulfil KSRE's responsibilities for the HRFBC. These two positions will be located in the Douglas County office and remotely for the Manhattan K-State Research and Extension team.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Identify aspiring and established farm and food-based businesses, assess needs and provide clients with relevant informational resources.
- Track technical assistance interactions, follow up with clients and other technical assistance providers to ensure entrepreneurs are receiving relevant resources.
- Identify informational gaps, compile and develop informational resources related to farm and food-based business development.
- Effectively communicate with a variety of audiences about the work of the Heartland Regional Food Business Center (HRFBC) and available resources from the center.
- Build relationships with HRFBC partners and clients, with a goal towards reaching underserved audiences.
- Lead planning for bi-annual Edible Startup Summit and other outreach and promotional activities for the Heartland Regional Food Business Center.
- Manage grant activities and contribute to written reports.
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off – vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the Principles of Community.
These positions are eligible for hybrid or remote worksite depending on the position location. Work may be performed on employer premises, designated assignment location and/or performed fully in a remote capacity. An employee who is working remotely must reside within the United States in order to comply with all federal and state laws, filings, or tax requirements.
Visit this link for K-State’s guidance and policies on remote work and flexible work arrangements. Remote work agreements are required for all flexible work arrangements and are subject to review.
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- Requires a bachelor's degree and three years of relevant experience.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field.
- Experience developing or operating a food business, understanding of basic business planning steps, tools and metrics.
- Evidence of success in project management: organizing and managing project teams.
- Project experience with food systems (local growers, farmers markets, rural grocery stores, food hubs or other relevant food system contexts).
- Evidence of effective oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience working with university faculty and public stakeholder groups.
- Demonstrated experience delivering professional presentations.
- Demonstrated experience managing grant projects.
- Demonstrated experience working in diverse and changing environments.
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment.
- Ability to travel within state of Kansas and Heartland Region (KS, NE, IA, MO, OK, AR)
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
- Letter of interest
- Name, phone number, and email address for three professional references.
Screening of Applications Begins:
Immediately and continues until position is filled. For best consideration apply by, February 16, 2024.
Anticipated Hiring Pay Range:
$52,530 - $84,000
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.