|Duties / Responsibilities:
||Assist with ancillary support services within the VHC, to include, but not be limited to the following:
- Preparing surgical instruments and linen packs as they return from surgery into pack groupings, remove and properly dispose of all blades and needles. Sort and place blood soiled instruments in sonic cleaner, remove when the machine cycle is complete, and dry instruments. Visually inspect all instruments for traces of contamination (i.e. remaining blood or tissue fragments). Place instruments in appropriate racks as defined procedures manuals descriptions (i.e. spay pack, orthopedic pack, arthroscopic pack, etc.). Wrap specifically so items are oriented to surgeon’s requests, and all instruments and supplies are oriented so that the pack outer wrapper maintains a sterile field around the instruments when opened. Remove and report instruments needing repair.
- Sterilization of surgical packs, fluids, and supplies, by placing properly wrapped taped and identified (as to contents and date sterilized.) instrument packs in the correct sterilizer (whichever is appropriate for the type of pack being sterilized), and set the machine to appropriate cycle settings. When finished, remove packs, double-check autoclave cycle print out and marking tape on each pack to assure that the autoclave functioned properly and each pack has been appropriately sterilized.
- Preparation of gauze, sponge, towel, needle, and suture packs so each contains a specified number of items, with each oriented in relation to procedures manual protocol within the pack, and wrapped in an outer wrapper so that, after autoclaving, the pack may be opened maintaining a sterile field around its outer perimeter.
- Laundering and folding of linens and uniforms. Packing, wrapping, and sterilization of surgical gowns, following approved sterile techniques, is included in this task. Maintain an orderly work area by participating in daily cleaning tasks.
- Assist in training of new employees in specific techniques associated with performing sterile pack preparation procedures.
- Stocking of supplies in the work area (s) as directed by supervisor, including organization and set up of surgery carts and other specialty carts.
- Perform daily tasks to ensure the self-help laboratory is operational. These tasks include: cleaning, stocking, troubleshooting and maintaining equipment, reporting equipment in need of repair. Quarterly duties in self-help include: maintaining MSDS book, appropriate signage, inventory map, evaluating the need for par levels adjustments.
- Provide assistance to Veterinary Technicians in both small animal and large animal surgical nurses stations and operating rooms to include but not limited to the following:
- Prepare and maintain the surgical suites to consistently provide a sterile environment and adequate supplies
- Assist by preparing animals for surgical procedures to include clipping of hair around surgical sites and performing an aseptic scrub of surgical area
- Assist surgical team members by acting as circulator during procedures, and maintaining and monitoring the sterile field in the surgical area.
- Assist in breakdown of tables and instrument preparation for transport to central preparation department.
- Cleaning to include routine maintenance of all machines and equipment within the central preparation department. Routine cleaning of counters and shelving containing sterile packs and other commodities.
- Maintain surgical supplies, equipment and other commodities inventoried by VHC Central Preparation department. Monitor check-in and check-out of supplies, equipment and commodities so that all dispensing is performed in accordance with established VHC procedures. Monitor equipment, treatment materials, supplies and other commodities utilized daily in support of client, teaching and research medical procedures in the VHC so that all items have been serviced according to the preventive maintenance protocol, are functional, clean and available for the next procedure. This includes returning partially used commodities into service or initiating proper disposal of them in order to maintain an adequate inventory of supplies and materials. Must provide requests to supervisor (or other purchasing personnel in supervisor’s absence) for reordering of commodities.
Perform other duties as requested by Director of Surgical Support Services, Central Prep Nursing Supervisor, Health Care Technician II, or Health Center Administrator or Director by following procedures developed for the KSU-VHC. Additional responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- As necessary, assist with after-hours emergency procedures and participate with rotational weekend and holiday duty.
- Be an effective and dependable employee by beginning each day with a clean, neat uniform, establish and maintain good work habits, maintain a positive, professional relationship with faculty, staff, students and clients.
- One year experience in sterile processing and/or operating room
- Hospital experience in sterilizer operation, biomedical equipment operation and maintenance, supply and/or pharmaceutical stocking and distribution, or similar responsibilities
- Ability to read supply requisition forms, maintain records and a daily running inventory of materials stocked, dispensed, and requested
- Ability to interpret quality control monitors (i.e. autoclave tape color changes, internal pack sensitivity discs, etc.) which relate to degree of sterilization gained during processing of surgical instrument and supply packs
- Knowledge of basic computer operations, to include familiarity with concepts of database management programs
- Initiative to diagnose and troubleshoot equipment difficulties without being directly supervised (i.e. automatically check equipment performance and cleanliness each time it is requested to the employee)