These positions will provide after-hour services in the veterinary diagnostic laboratory. Duties will include the following,
• Log-in samples into the laboratory
• Operate the Siemens Advia Hematology Analyzer to generate partial CBC results
• Operate the cobas C501® Chemistry Analyzer to generate serum chemistry results
• Operate the NOVA Stat Profile® Analyzer to generate blood gas and other chemistry results
• Complete partial urinalysis results (physical and chemical components)
• Operate the Coulter® Z2™ Analyzer to generate cell count results for pleural, synovial and peritoneal fluids
• Prepare blood films and cytologic preparations for analysis by medical technologists or pathologists
• Undergo extensive training in the methods of sample handling, processing, and analysis
• Retrain in sessions which may be held at the discretion of the laboratory supervisor or pathologist
• Other duties logically associated with Clinical Pathology
Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory:
• Assist in the receiving and delivery of dead animals to the necropsy “in-coming” cooler for cases brought to the Emergency Desk of the Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital
• Assist in the receiving and delivery of large packages containing diagnostic specimens by putting them in the “incoming” cooler of the necropsy area.
• Set up cultures submitted by the VMTH after hours
When called to perform after-hours services, the employee must arrive to perform the duties within 20 minutes of being paged.
Intern will rotate between the laboratories within the veterinary diagnostic lab and will be expected to attend rounds. The intern will be first author for at least one publication and one presentation.